HERO2, 01 (140714)
london is so big and strange and ancient and horrifying and wonderful, this list could have been ten times as long.
- markets: portobello, borough [obvious], old spitalfield, greenwich, leadenhall, brick lane, netil market [london fields], brixton village.
- amazing food: e pellici, bethnal green. tayyabs, whitechapel. book club, shoreditch. beigel bake, brick lane. mahogany bar, wilton’s music hall. fish central, king square estate [oh god best fish & chips in london]. mr. felafel, shepherd’s bush market [palestinian felafel to die for]. cafe in the crypt, st. martin in the fields [incredible atmosphere]. prospect of whitby, wapping [ancient pub on the river]. pie in the sky, bromley-by-bow.
- books: collinge & clark [second hand books; this is where black books was filmed]. word on the water [a book-barge, usually in paddington]. southbank book market. foyle’s on tottenham court road. forbidden planet, shaftesbury avenue. persephone books. london review. ripping yarns, highgate. 56A, crampton st. [great anarchist bookshop & archive].
- landmarks: floating gardens. john keats’s house. highgate cemetery [karl marx, douglas adams, christina rossetti, george eliot, et al]. doughty street [disappearing georgian london]. speakers’ corner. cross bones graveyard [paupers’ burial ground]. burlington arcade. freemason’s hall, holborn. the actor’s church. brixton windmill. canal paths. hackney marshes. aldwych, the abandoned tube station. art in the park. battersea power station [apocalyptic icon]. prince charles cinema [quentin tarantino’s favourite cinema]. rivoli ballroom [gorgeous 1950s music hall]. southwark cathedral [ancient & beautiful; shakespeare came here]. brompton cemetery. kyoto gardens. southbank graffiti tunnel [leake street]. old bailey.
- museums: tate modern [matisse!]. v&a [always something great here]. science museum. design museum. museum of childhood. charles dickens museum. british library [exhibition i’ve had earmarked for months, “comics unmasked: art & anarchy in the uk”].
- oddities: the old curiosity shop. dr. john dee’s magical items at the british museum [elizabeth i’s court magician]. the old operating theatre. the london dungeons. the london tombs. the wellcome collection [artificial limbs, mummies & bizarre medical ephemera from history]. hoxton street monster supplies. also, if you’re into the macabre, declan mchugh’s bloody london is a great guide to historic sites of horror and the occult.
SAM: it’s me! it’s your sam. don’t you know your sam?
FRODO: i can’t do this, sam.
SAM: i know. it’s all wrong. by rights we shouldn’t even be here. but we are. it’s like in the great stories, mr. frodo. the ones that really mattered. full of darkness and danger they were, and sometimes you didn’t wanna know the end, because how could the end be happy? how could the world go back to the way it was when so much bad had happened? but in the end, it’s only a passing thing. this shadow, even darkness, must pass. a new day will come, and when the sun shines it’ll shine out the clearer. those were the stories that stayed with you, that meant something, even if you were too small to understand why. but i think mr. frodo, i do understand. i know now. folk in those stories had lots of chances of turning back, only they didn’t. they kept going, because they were holding onto something.
FRODO: what’re we holding onto, sam?
SAM: that there’s some good in this world, mr. frodo. and it’s worth fighting for.
this has been, and will always be, my favorite scene. ♥
(god tumblr, why does your re-sizing make my pictures look so crappy)
When ShinGoro team won and Shingo gave Goro his reward.
Bucho and Captain chillax like bosses while all the other actors get their own drinks [x]
AWWWW ANON LEMME HUG YA!!!! <3 <3 <3 <3 <3 <3
كأنهم أخوان !!!!!!
OMG . They are like a Brothers !!!! <3
I could watch that pen toss all day
Perfect gif set. The epitomy of how they work together like two halves of a whole.
OH MY SWEET LORD YOU CAN TELL THEY’RE BROTHERS
This is.. quite beautiful
Message to Korean fans, 2014 11 18
Bård says 여우 well (and he seems proud, or relieved). But he sort of mumbles through “thank you,” which is probably why Vegard was tasked to say it during the MAMA award acceptance speech.
Make me choose meme: anonymous asked allons-y or
'정말귀여우시더라고요!' - Really cute, i'm telling you! [x]